Monthly Archives: July 2019

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Traffic troubles: Montrealers face major weekend closures on Turcot, Jacques-Cartier Bridge

There are some major road closures in Montreal this weekend and commuters are being encouraged by traffic officials to avoid the area or take public transport.

Turcot Interchange

Starting Friday, Dec. 2 at 11:30 p.m., there will be a complete closure of the eastbound R-136 (A-720), between the Turcot Interchange and the Ville-Marie tunnel.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Reaching for the Tylenol: Migraines on order with Montreal traffic chaos

  • Trying to solve Montreal’s traffic issues

  • Montreal tourists owe $8.5M in unpaid traffic tickets

    READ MORE: Trying to solve Montreal’s traffic issues

    The ramps from Highway 20 east and the A-15 east- and southbound to the Ville-Marie Expressway will be closed for roadwork.

    “There will be an impact on traffic,” Sarah Bensadoun, Transports Quebec spokesperson told Global News.

     She explained three kilometers of the A-720 east will be torn down between now and next spring.

    She added that crews can’t do the work overnight because a lot of it is very noisy and would disrupt people who live in the area.

    Drivers are being asked to detour via A-15 south and the Bonaventure Expressway.

    READ MORE: Driving in Montreal — less than six clicks in 40 minutes

    Closures will be in effect until Monday, Dec. 5 at 5 a.m.

    There are major closures on the Turcot Interchange starting Friday, December 2, 2016.

    Turcot Interchange

    Jacques-Cartier Bridge

    The Jacques-Cartier Bridge will be closed overnight from Friday, Dec. 2 to Saturday, Dec. 3 and again from Sunday, Dec. 4 to Monday, Dec. 5.

    Lanes will start closing at 11:30 p.m. and the bridge will be completely closed in both directions between midnight and 4 a.m.

    READ MORE: Quebec transport ministry offers unusual solution to deal with noise complaints on Turcot Interchange

    Access will be maintained for emergency services.

    According to traffic officials, the goal of the closure is to ensure safety for users and workers during repairs.

    Other closures will be scheduled in December for additional construction work.

    READ MORE: Route 136 opens as the eastbound 720 closes for good

    A spokesperson for the Agence métropolitaine de transport (AMT) told Global News there are no plans to increase train service to encourage people to leave their cars at home.

    This is the first of 12 to 15 closures of the Turcot Interchange between now and next spring.

Canadian rockers Rush donate $40K to Gord Downie Fund for Brain Cancer Research

Veteran Canadian rock trio Rush is making a generous gesture by making a whopping $40,000 donation to the Gord Downie Fund for Brain Cancer Research. The fund was set up to honour the Tragically Hip front man, who earlier this year revealed he’s been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, and has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to fund brain cancer research at Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital.

During Canadian Music Week in April 2017, Rush will be honoured with the Allan Slaight Humanitarian Spirit Award, and have announced they’ll be donating $40,000 of the proceeds to the fund.

WATCH BELOW: Gord Downie performs ‘Secret Path’ in Ottawa

ChangSha Night Net

The award, which recognizes Canadian music acts for their philanthropical efforts, is then donated to the recipient’s charity of choice, with Rush members Geddy Lee, Neil Peart and Alex Lifeson naming the Gord Downie Fund in an announcement on the band’s official website.

READ MORE: Facebook Busts Group Selling Bootleg Gord Downie T-Shirts, Claims Of Charity Donation Apparently Bogus

“We are pleased to direct this generous donation from the Allan Slaight Humanitarian award to the Gord Downie Fund for Brain Cancer Research at Sunnybrook,” says the band in a joint statement

“Many Canadian families have been affected either directly or indirectly by this terrible disease,” adds Rush. “Through Gord’s courageous efforts this cause is now getting the attention it desperately deserves. As a fellow musician and friend it’s our turn to help support his efforts to fight Brain Cancer now.” 

In an interview with CBC Music earlier this year, Rush front man Geddy Lee revealed he’s a longtime fan of The Tragically Hip, describing the Hip as “certainly one of the greatest bands we’ve ever produced in this country.”

He added: “The first time you listen to one of their records it kind of sneaks up on you. It sounds simpler than it is. There is a particular way the power of those guitars work together.… [They] always sound sinewy and muscular. Then you put Gord’s voice and his lyrics on top of that, and after repeated listening, you really start to love it. It just gets inside you. I think that’s a trademark of the Hip.”

Ontario families file human rights complaints against York school board over allegations of racism

A community group representing seven Ontario families have filed a human rights complaint against the York Region District School Board (YRDSB) on Friday over its inability to properly address incidents of Islamophobia and systemic racism within the institution’s ranks.

WATCH: Islamic groups claim hate crimes against Canadian Muslims have doubled

“The culture that exists relies on the code of protecting their system even if that system is negatively affecting our children,” Vaughan African Canadian Association (VACA) Executive Director Shernett Martin told reporters at a news conference Friday morning in Toronto.

“Staff cover for each other, defend each other, ignore criticism and fail to follow up on community concerns in order to protect the reputation of the board.”

ChangSha Night Net

The community group says the human rights complaint stems from the school board’s lack of conviction to manage and resolved incidents of racism.

A Markham elementary school principal is currently under investigation by board officials after she was caught posting anti-Muslim content on her Facebook page. She has since been placed on medical leave until the new year.

Meanwhile, the head of equity at the York Region board recently released a scathing letter to senior staff questioning how the investigation is being handled and culture of fear that exists within the board’s ranks.

Ontario Minister of Education Mitzie Hunter just last week requested the board to present an anti-racism action plan by January.

“We have to acknowledge that we have heard an increasing sense of fear among parents and their guardians if they speak up about human rights violations,” National Council of Canadian Muslims board member Abbas Kassam told reporters on Friday.

“The level of fear we are hearing from families is crippling. There can be no trust in the presence of such fear. There’s no public confidence if there is no trust.”

Some of the recommendations included in the human rights complaint include mandatory equity and anti-racism training for senior staff and teachers, implementation of an equity audit, the appointment of an education ombudsman or commissioner and a public issuance of an apology by the board.

“We stand with parents who simply want their children to attend school in a safe and caring environment,” Martin said.

“Our parents speak about their child having racial slurs hurled at them, feeling marginalized, accused of things they did not do simply because they fit a certain stereotype.”

Maryam Monsef apologizes multiple times for saying electoral reform committee didn’t do their job

OTTAWA – Democratic Institutions Minister Maryam Monsef has apologized to members of the electoral reform committee for comments she made Thursday in the House of Commons.

Monsef issued the apology during today’s daily question period, much of which she spent on her feet addressing the controversy from the day before.

She says she deeply regrets the words she used and never meant to imply they didn’t work hard, long hours and weren’t focused on their task.

ChangSha Night Net

The minister flabbergasted opposition parties on Thursday with a dismissive, hostile response to the majority report of the opposition-dominated committee, which recommended a new proportional voting system and a national referendum to gauge public support for it.

READ MORE: Committee suggests penalizing political parties that don’t run enough women

Pressed by Conservatives and New Democrats in the House to accept the majority report, Monsef asserted that “the only consensus that the committee found was that there is no consensus on electoral reform.”

She then expressed disappointment that the committee didn’t recommend a specific voting model.

“On the main question on the hard choices that we had asked the committee to make, the members of the committee took a pass,” Monsef told the Commons.

“We asked the committee to help answer very difficult questions for us. It did not do that.”

On Friday, she said: “I’d like to sincerely apologize to the members of this House, to Canadians and to the members of the special all-party committee on electoral reform.”

“In no way did I intend to imply that they didn’t work hard, that they didn’t put in the long hours, that they didn’t focus on the task at hand; Mr. Speaker, I thank them for their work.”